The Sun West School Division Board of Education held its regular meeting on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 in Rosetown at the Sun West Learning Centre.
- Michael Zummack the Manager responsible for Facilities, Transportation and Information Technology provided reports for all three departments. A few of the details are the following:
- Facilities projects completed in the last year and those being planned for the upcoming school year were reviewed.
- Sun West schools are all operating efficiently according to the Buildings Facility Condition Index (FCI). Sun West schools currently enjoy some of the best FCI ratings among all school divisions.
- In the 2021 fiscal year the Facilities department received 2,880 service requests, which is up 9% from the previous year. To date, the Facilities Department has completed 97% of these service requests.
- Currently 2162 students are registered to ride Sun West school buses. These buses travel a total of 17,756 kilometres every day.
- Recruiting bus drivers for some regular routes as well as recruiting spare bus drivers continues to be a challenge for the Transportation Department. A recent advertising campaign has had some positive results and other recruitment strategies are under development.
- The Sun West Information Technology Department is very close to achieving a 1/1 device to student ratio (every student has access to a Sun West iPad or laptop).
- The end of September Enrollment Report indicated that the projections for 2021-22 were fairly accurate. More Distance Learning Centre (DLC) and Home-Based students were factors in an overall increase in enrollment compared to projections.
- Director Emmerson reported the return to extra-curricular activities this fall has been widely appreciated across the Division by students, parents and staff.
- The Board also discussed the provincial government’s decision to require its employees to show proof of vaccination or a recent negative COVID-19 test in order to enter their workplaces and their suggestion that school divisions adopt a similar policy. The Board instructed senior leadership to gather information and report back to the Board at the October 12 Committee of the Whole meeting.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Education is scheduled for October 26. For more information on the Sun West Board of Education:
Phone: 1 (866) 375-2677 (toll free) or 1 (306) 882-2677
Email: email@example.com Sun West website: www.sunwestsd.ca
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn