Putting Student Choice and Voice into action!
Encouraging and facilitating student leadership is a priority area for the Sun West School Division and goes hand-in-hand with our Personalized electronically Blended Learning (PeBL) philosophy. Initiated by the Sun West Board of Education in 2007, the Sun West Student Leadership Program has grown to include four components and students in the program have also represented Sun West at provincial and national events.
Due to the requirements necessary to protect the health and safety of students, staff and the community, Sun West is operating the Student Leadership Program differently than it has in the past. Two of the traditional components, the Career Fair and Student Tutor Program are on pause this year but the activities planned or underway in the 2020-21 school year are described below.
2020-21 Student Leadership Program
- Grades 8-12 Sun West students are eligible to apply to become part of the Sun West Student Leadership Program.
- Students who are interested in being part of the Student Leadership Program must participate in a Online Seminar taking place 12:15-12:45 pm on Friday, October 16. Information on how to participate in this seminar will be sent to school principals and Student Leadership Advisors.
- Each Sun West School that includes any of the grades between 8-12 is entitled to two representatives on the Student Leadership Program. Students interested in these positions can receive application forms at the Online Seminar on October 16.
- Students will be selected based on their applications and input and support from their school-based administrators and student leadership advisors.
- Meetings of the Student Leadership Program representatives will take place online monthly using the Microsoft Teams platform.
- These meetings will support a division-wide student leadership connection and collaboration in order to build division culture and relationships.
- School staff Leadership Advisors will be encouraged to attend the meetings as well.
- There will be two teams within the Student Leadership Program. These will be Team Sun West and the Youth Consultation Group.
- Team Sun West will be responsible for planning and executing a Virtual Student Leadership conference.
- The Youth Consultation Group will research student views in order to provide information and solutions to the Board of Education. This year this will include creating a wellness and happiness focused journal and related activities.
Information regarding these activities will be or have been sent out to schools. More information will be posted here as it becomes available.