Sun West School Division invites applications for a Director of Education commencing September 1, 2022. Sun West School Division is located on Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 territory in west central Saskatchewan and serves nearly 6000 students. Sun West has 42 schools (14 kindergarten to grade 12 schools, 6 elementary schools, 3 high schools, 1 middle school, and 18 Hutterite colony schools). In Sun West, students and teachers benefit from smaller class sizes and exceptional educational opportunities. Sun West integrates their Personalized electronically Blended Learning (PeBL) philosophy into the education of students to enhance their levels of achievement and build their 21st Century Skills.
The Director of Education is the Chief Executive Officer of the Board and of the Division. The Director reports directly to the nine-member Board and is accountable to the Board for the conduct and operation of the Division. All Board authority delegated to the staff of the Division is delegated through the Director. The Director of Education/CEO will have eight direct reports (five Educational Superintendents, the Executive Assistant, HR Manager and Superintendent of Business).
Division Vision Statement - Success for all
Division Mission Statement - Learning Together
Division Guiding Values - Respect, Accountability, Cooperation, Lifelong learning and Leadership
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Student Welfare - ensures that each student is provided with a safe and caring environment that fosters and maintains respectful and responsible behaviors.
- Educational Leadership - provides leadership in all matters relating to education in the Division and ensures students have the opportunity to meet standards of education set by the Ministry of Education.
- Fiscal Responsibility- ensures the Division operates in a fiscally responsible manner, including adherence to recognized accounting procedures.
- Personnel Management - ensures sound personnel management practices are in place to recruit, retain, advance, and manage personnel in accordance with legislation or Board policy.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures -provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policies and administrative procedures.
- Director/Board Relations - establishes and maintains positive professional working relations with the Board and provides the information which the Board requires to perform its role.
- Strategic Plan Planning and Reporting - leads the strategic planning process including the development of Division goals, budget, and facilities. Implements plans as approved and reports regularly on results achieved.
- Organizational Management- demonstrates effective organization skills resulting in Division compliance with all legal, Ministry of Education and Board mandates and timelines.
- Communications and Community Relations - takes appropriate actions to ensure positive internal and external communications are developed and maintained.
- Leadership Practices - practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom the Director works most directly in carrying out the directives of the Board and the Minister.
- A master’s degree in education and meet qualifications for membership in the League of Educational Administrators, Directors and Superintendents (LEADS).
- Significant leadership experience in both school and division roles.
- Proven track record of career progression in education, and experience in administration, human relations, staff development and strategic planning.
- A dynamic, inquiring leader who understands teaching and learning and works with others to provide multifaceted educational programs in an inclusive learning environment. Experience with 21st Century learning competencies and personalized and online learning considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences – clearly, concisely and with sensitivity in public and controversial situations.
- Rural education experience is considered an asset.
- Previous experience working with a board is considered a strong asset.
This position will be based in Rosetown, Saskatchewan. Travel throughout the division is required.
Sun West School Division offers a competitive salary, benefits and pension package.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check as a condition of employment.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume demonstrating how they meet the qualifications and competencies by email to April Blondeau, Saskatchewan School Boards Association at email@example.com no later than Wednesday July 13, 2022 by midnight. Sun West School Division Board of Education would like to thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted. All applications will be kept confidential.
Sun West School Division is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential and encourages applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of the Sun West School Division.